There are a few interesting and unique trends followed this year in UX design and implemented in web design. These trends include inclusion and implementation of virtual reality, voice over interfaces and artificial intelligence. Things are developing and improving at a rapid pace and developers and designers have found a useful and effective way to address the ever-changing user behavior. This has made web designing even more demanding and appealing to provide the better user experience.
Today, building progressive, responsive and astonishing web design is easier and more effective with these design trends. All you need to do is follow the new technologies and trends closely and use it as and wherever required for an assured result.
The recent developments
Google Chrome has made similar announcements, though last year, but still has to confirm when it will be put to use. However, irrespective of the consequences, the recent developments will make building websites more interesting and challenging. The developers will have to change their designing concept and find better ways to build websites.
The few noticeable changes
There are a few noticeable changes in the trends of UX design such as:
- Voice User Interface – Also known as VUI, these interfaces such as Siri of Apple and Alexa of Amazon can understand complex voice instructions and act accordingly. Voice user interface design is an emerging trend that requires strategic skill set of the web designers. This helps in solving existing issues in newer and better ways that provide improved accessibility and better user experience. It ensures users to remain copiously human in their interactions. It helps them to stay more connected to others in the room. Most significantly, VUI is very helpful to those who cannot adapt themselves easily to the traditional use of computer due to physical and cognitive disabilities.
- Progressive Web Apps – PWA is another noticeable feature that is incorporated in modern web design. This ensures a deeply engaging user experience to all as soon as they land on the website. Now they do not have to install any native app to have a common platform that supports push notifications and placement on the home screen. This makes the web more stable, reliable, fast and more engaging. With this technology a user can easily save the app on the home screen, listen to a podcast or read an article offline. Using PWA, you will ensure that the visitors stay longer on your website. Push notifications, in particular, are extremely important for social sites as it will ensure re-engagement, install-ability which is crucial for long-term success.
- VR – Common name for virtual reality it has become the mainstream in UX design. VR has a huge effect on the users as it has changed the concept of internet usage. More than a source for information and commerce, the internet is viewed as an immersive source for better experiences for the users. Test results have shown that people usually like to spend more time on sites having VR feature as compared to any other digital product. This can be used beyond video games, and now you can see it being used in the field of medicines, education, and others to increase interaction.
- AR – In 2018, it is expected that there will be extensive use of AR as Augmented-Reality and mixed-reality devices have started to take over the consumer realm. This sphere is seeing more and more investments from significant players and even small organizations. AR apps are capable of helping the users to measure anything from heights, short distances, and faraway points. There are also a few additional tools that will help the users to calculate the height of a person, add laser level to walls, and preview a room with virtual furniture or to draw in a 3D space.
- Artificial Intelligence and Chatbots – Over the years, there is an increase in the use of chatbots in communication. This is due to the improved artificial intelligence and machine learning that has made the Chatbots smarter. The new and better AI technology which is called the drawing bot by the researchers can generate images by simply using descriptions provided in natural language. It is the machine learning algorithms that help AI to imagine the missing parts of the image and create it in entirety.
- Internet of Things – This feature makes the best use of technology to connect all devices to the internet. The smart light bulbs and handy apps help in tracking down the lost keys and also help in interacting with more intelligent devices. In fact, this has eliminated the constraints of the intersection of physical and digital with enhanced possibilities. This, in fact, has helped the modern designers to overcome the challenge in designing a great UX that will work equally well in an individual device as well as in a unified system.
The fashion effects
This year is also the year of asymmetry and geometric patterns that have separated good designs from great designs. While good design redesigns, great designs realign. Last year, you saw the use of clear-cut grids, but 2018 is the year for creative and unique background patterns that blends perfectly with the foreground. There is perfect harmony between the elements used and a lot of negative space. This effective interplay between the foreground and the background of the websites creates a unique visual contrast which in turn provides a unique and immersive user experience while surfing the internet.